As set forth in the founding legislation, the purposes of the Udall Foundation are to:
- Increase the awareness of the importance of, and promote the benefit and enjoyment of, the nation’s natural resources;
- Foster a greater recognition and understanding of the role of the environment, public lands and resources in the development of the United States;
- Identify critical environmental issues;
- Develop resources to train professionals properly in environmental and related fields;
- Provide educational outreach regarding environmental policy;
- Develop resources to train Native American and Alaska Native professionals in health care and public policy;
- Through the U.S. Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution, provide assessment, mediation, and other related services to resolve environmental disputes involving federal agencies.